Board of Directors - Updates
It has been a busy year for the New Hampshire Nurses Association.
NHNA became one of the founding members of the newly realized North East-Multi State Division (NEMSD). The NEMSD was incorporated at the end of 2016 and will begin functioning in 2017. The planned benefits of the NEMSD are to create savings through the consolidation of certain programs and expenses into a single, larger organization, the enhancement of our membership programs with the hiring of a membership/communications coordinator, and the identification of new, non-dues sources of revenue. The Board is excited by the potential opportunities the NEMSD offers NHNA and the benefits of collaborating with the nursing associations in Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island and New York.
The Board is very proud of the work that has been done by its members and Commissions. We would like to share and celebrate our accomplishments with you. Below is a recap of our various events and activities.
Conferences and Events
Graduating Student Conference
On April 4, 2017 we hosted the Creating Your Nursing Future 2017 for graduating student nurses at Southern New Hampshire University's Manchester Campus. Over 225 students attended this day-long event. Guest speakers included:
- Bobbie Bagley, MS, RN, MPH, CPH and NHNA's President speaking on "Your Role in Health Policy & Advocacy
- Melissa Clark, RN, BSN and Graduate Assistant for UNH speaking on NCLEX: Prep for Success
- Jane Delmar, BS, HR Business Partner for Catholic Medical Center speaking on Surviving and Thriving During Your Job Search, I can do this
- Ryan Warren, Pharm D and pharmacist at SNHMC speaking on Pharmacy Fundamentals for the Graduate Nurse
- Amanda Stefancyk Oberlies, PhD, MBA, RN and CEO of the Organization of Nursing Leaders speaking on Benefits of Joining a Professional Organization
The students were also informed of what to expect during their first year of nursing practice from a panel of recent nursing graduates and shared insights from a panel of nurses from various areas of nursing practice. Both panels were organized by Barbarjo Bockenhauer, MSN, APNP, PMHCNS-BC and NHNA Treasurer.
This year's event also hosted a Career Fair, with 17 nurse recruiters and nursing educational organizations sponsoring exhibitor tables. Students were able to speak with these exhibitors throughout the day, exchanging resumes and career planning ideas.
The event sponsors include: Southern New Hampshire University (Gold Sponsor), Catholic Medical Center (Gold Sponsor), Cottage Hospital (Silver Sponsor), Darthmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (Bronze Sponsor) and Kindred Transitional Care & Rehab (Bronze Sponsor).
Spotlight On Nursing
On June 15, 2017 we hosted the “Spotlight on Nursing Today 2017”. Over 50 nurses gathered at our Concord office, and for the first time nurses were also able to participate in this event from their homes via an online conference call link. This event focused on three issues important to nurses:
- Challenging the Stigma of Substance Use Disorders, presented by Aita Vonceil Romain, MPH, CPS and Karry LaHaye
- Taking Air: Educating Healthcare Professionals in Firearms Injury Prevention, presented by Laurie Nolan-Kelley, DNP, MSN, RN, CNL, CEN, TCRN, EMT-P
- Therapeutic Cannabis 101, presented by Lisa Withrow, APRN, FNP-C, ACHPH
Annual Meeting & Awards Banquet
And in October, ANA President Pamela F. Cipriano, PhD, RN, NEA-BC, FAAN, visited New Hampshire for two days of events. While here, Dr. Cipriano attended a meet-and-greet with nursing leaders and state legislators, she presented ANA’s newest campaign: Health Nurse/Healthy Nation to a group of nursing leaders at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, she visited Elliot Hospital with presentations on many innovative, nurse driven programs, and finally she was a guest at our annual meeting and keynote speaker for our annual awards banquet.
The 2017 Annual Meeting and Awards Banquet will be held on October 25th, starting at 6:00 pm at the McAuliffe-Shepard Discovery Center in Concord. Our keynote speaker will be Carrie Bosela, RN, CPC, CPC-1, Administrative Director of SVO-PSO Vascular Quality Initiative. Ms. Bosela will speak on "Taking the Lead."
Volunteer Task Force and Committees
Our Steering/Search Task Force successfully recruited a new Nurse Executive Director, Joan Widmer MS, MSBA, RN, CEN, who joined our team in October 2016.
Brianna White MSN, RN, CPN served on the NH Commission to Study the Shortages of Nurses and Other Skilled Health Care Workers for Home Health Care Services and Post-Acute Care Services. She presented the finding of this Commission at the November meeting of the Board of Directors.
Todd Gardner BSN, RN, continued to serve on the Governor’s Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention, Intervention, and Treatment. He presented bi-monthly reports to the Board of Directors on the work undertaken by this Commission.
The small, but dynamic Nursing News Committee successfully produced our quarterly newsletter, highlighting nursing news and activity throughout the state. Our Newsletter Editor, Susan Fetzer, welcomes new writers and contributors. Please contact email@example.com if you are interested in writing articles for Nursing News.
The Board would like to recognize our dedicated commission members who are working diligently for our organization. Below are the highlights resulting from their hard work.
Commission on Nurse Practice
- Examines issues of importance to nurses and develops and presents education programs.
- Hosted "Bullying and Incivility" at MCHPS University in March 2016.
- Sponsored a Health Fair and 5K Run at St. Anselm College in June 2016.
- Sponsored the Spotlight on Nursing Today: 2016 program.
- Planned and coordinated 2016 Annual Awards Banquet & Events with Pam Cipriano.
- Sponsored the Spotlight on Nursing Today: 2017 program.
- Working on the NH Healthy Nurse Scholarship 5K Run, scheduled for Sept 24, 2017 on the Rivier University Campus
Commission on Continuing Education
- Serve as Volunteer Nurse Peer Reviewers for the North East Multi State Continuing Education Unit.
- Reviewed 45 Education Activities and 4 Provider Applications in 2015.
- Hosted a State Lead Nurse Reviewer meeting with Jennifer Gerber from ANCC.
Commission on Government Affairs
- Evaluates proposed health care legislation, making recommendations of appropriate legislative action to the Board of Directors.
- Initiates action of above recommendation, such as letters to legislators, letters to editors, etc.
- Assists in the development of policy statements on health care issues.
- Hosted the 2017 Legislative Town Hall Forum webinar at 12 locations statewide with over 110 participants.
- Provided weekly updates on the NHNA website on the 14 bills being followed during the 2017 legislative session.
- Hosted a Breakfast for NH Legislators on April 5, 2017 with over 100 legislators passing through to speak with the NHNA members and nursing students present.